Monday, November 2, 2015

Best-Laid Plans

It was amazing how you could get so far from where you'd planned, and yet find it was exactly were you needed to be.
~ Sarah Dessen

It started out as a tickle in my throat, a bit of a headache, some minor head congestion. Three days later it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed on a Saturday morning - feverish, swallowing glass, coughing uncontrollably - and show up for a out-of-town job adjudicating a piano festival. Knowing I was beaten, I paid the doctor a visit on the way home. He diagnosed a sinus infection and prescribed antibiotics, a steroid, and some strong cough medicine. I picked up my prescriptions, changed into my pajamas, and crawled into bed. You just need some time to rest, I assured myself. You'll be back to your healthy, energetic self by Monday. 

Except I wasn't. Last Monday morning I canceled my first several piano lessons so I could sleep just a little while longer. And even though I somehow managed to keep up with what I absolutely HAD to do - teach most of my students, attend a piano ensemble rehearsal Monday night and a music teachers association meeting Wednesday morning, fill a random custom Etsy order that came in - all I could think about was what I WASN'T getting done as the days ticked by. Practicing the piano and the clarinet. Polishing my presentation for the upcoming Georgia Music Teachers Association state conference. Plotting this year's NaNoWriMo novel. I didn't even have the energy to read. All I really wanted to do was sleep.

Now it's a whole week later and I am happy to report I am feeling much, much better. I am not totally symptom-free but at least I can get through a day without Hydrocodone; I am running at about sixty-five percent capacity but that's a tremendous improvement. Yesterday I felt well enough to start strong with NaNoWriMo (1676 words!) and to attend my first rehearsal with the newly-formed Gwinnett Symphony Wind Orchestra - my first time playing the clarinet in an ensemble since May 1981. (Turns out my stand-mate hadn't even been born yet, ha!) Now I have until Friday morning to polish up my conference presentation. And the piano is always there waiting patiently for me, now matter how sorely I neglect it.

So despite my occasional moments of despair over the past ten days, it appears I am now right where I need to be, with a renewed gratitude for the abundant health I am generally blessed with and a strong determination to take better care of myself and prevent future illness.

Do you NaNo? If so, I would love to be your writing buddy. Just search for pamasberry. And all my local followers are warmly invited to attend the GSWO's first-ever concert, to be held this Saturday evening at 7PM at the First Christian Church of Atlanta. Click HERE for details.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a joy to read such perfect prose.

Julee J. Adams said...

Go you! Here's hoping we all stay healthy this fall and winter.