Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A Day in the Life of a Piano Teacher

Twenty years ago, my life was very different. I was married and a home schooling mom to my three children. I took care of our home, ground wheat berries and baked all our bread from scratch, sewed clothes, made quilts, and dabbled in various crafts. I was an active member of my local home schooling support group, wrote articles about home schooling, and gave seminars to encourage other home school teachers. One article I wrote, along with a picture of my sweet family, even appeared in the column A Day in the Life in Mary Pride's Homeschooling Today magazine.

Now I am divorced and my children are grown. Although I still have my wheat grinder and heavy duty mixer, I don't remember the last time I used them. But I am still making things, teaching, writing articles about the work I do, and giving seminars to encourage others. As they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same. So here is A Day in the Life of a Piano Teacher, an account of my activities on Tuesday, August 30, 2016.



8:30-8:50 - Wake up, catch up on social media via iPhone
8:50-9:00 - Get up, start coffee, take out dog
9:00-9:30 - Write morning pages
9:30-9:40 - Scramble two eggs, top with sriracha, call it breakfast
9:40-10:55 - Make four pairs of earrings, take pictures, post on social media
10:55-11:00 - Change from pajamas into exercise wear
11:00-12:00 - Walk three miles
12:00-12:15 - Cool down, add three pairs of earrings to listings in Etsy shop
12:15-12:30 -  Listen to son (aka RockStar) practice a speech for his Public Speaking class at UNG (due tomorrow)
12:30-1:00 - Shower, dress, heat up a turkey burrito leftover from last week, call it lunch
1:00-2:30 - Practice piano, read through some more music by the composer Zdenek Fibich, about whose life and music I am preparing a presentation
2:30-2:45 - Take out dog, bring in mail, fill water bottle
2:45 - 5:45 - Teach piano lessons
5:45-5:46 - Restroom break
5:46-9:00 - Teach piano lessons
9:00 - 9:15 - Take out dog, order pizza
9:15 - 9:45 - Listen to son practice revised speech for his Public Speaking class
9:45 - 10:45 - Eat pizza, drink a glass of wine wine, catch up on our days
10:45-11:00 - Run to Kroger, buy more wine
11:00-12:00 - Drink more wine, write blog post about day

I guess I like keeping busy! But I firmly believe that I am doing what I was put on this earth to do and I wouldn't trade lives with anyone. I am satisfied with everything I accomplished today and look forward to all that Wednesday will bring!

No comments: