Monday, January 2, 2017

Welcome, 2017!

Like many folks, I spent much of the day Saturday in reflection. I don't make New Year's resolutions anymore, exactly, but January 31st seems like a good time to reflect on what is working and what isn't working in my daily processes. So I reviewed the goals I set for 2016, kicked myself for the areas in which I fell short and congratulated myself for the areas in which I exceeded. Although I am overall pleased with the turns my life has taken, my music leaves me with little time for much of anything else and the three-legged stool that is my life (Asberry School of Music/The Wishing Box/Pam Asberry author) has grown quite wobbly. Yes, teaching and playing the piano are going quite well and jewelry sales are enough to keep me in supplies. But in the past year I blogged infrequently and novel writing came to a virtual standstill. I plan to repair that in 2017. I also set myself some fitness goals for the New Year. While diet and exercise don't pay the bills, I must remain healthy in order to do the work that does. Then I revamped my Amazing Life List, aka Pam's Bucket List, removing items accomplished or no longer relevant and adding a few new ones. 

And my word for the year? It's VENTURE. More about that another day.

* * *


Number 37 on my Amazing Life List is "Knit a sky scarf." Although I'm not much more than a beginner - rectangles are my specialty - I enjoy knitting and am always on the lookout for something new to try using my limited skill set. When I came across the Sky Scarf on Pinterest, I decided that would be a great project for 2017. I put the kit on my wish list at Amazon; when Santa didn't bring it, I ordered it for myself. 


The kit includes five skeins of lace weight wool yarn and a special tag. I added a pair of size 3 knitting needles (the tiniest I have ever worked with) and double rainbow add-on (surely I will see a rainbow or two in the next twelve months!) The premise is simple: every day, you knit a stripe that matches the colors of the sky. At the end of the year, you have a five-foot scarf. There is even a Sky Scarf group on Ravelry. Literally hundreds of women have knitted/are knitting sky scarves. I am delighted to join their ranks!

Above is a picture of yesterday's sky so I cast on with two shades of gray. I won't be changing colors today as the heavy cloud cover has lingered. But who knows what tomorrow will bring?


How did you wrap up 2016? What are your goals for the New Year?


2 comments:

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

I feel like my word for last year was "aimless." I smile at that, but more in irony than because it's funny. 2014 was all push, push, push and busy, busy, busy. So, I feel like I just coasted through 2017. Not entirely true as I did publish one new book, but that's the bare minimum.

Now I'm ready for goals and results. 2017 needs focus so I'm going to try the bullet journal method or organization and goal setting. A lot of people find a word or phrase that works for them to focus on. It came to me this morning that mine is SHINE. I need to not be afraid to shine or even to try to shine, even if that means falling on my face sometimes. In my mind, the word SHINE has rays of sunshine emitting from it all around. :-)

I love that you're knitting a sky scarf. In crochet, we have the Temperature blanket. Color is determined by the temperature of the day. Good luck with it!

Pam Asberry said...

Carol, I am guessing you meant to say that 2014 was all push and you coasted through 2016. But sometimes our bodies need to rest. And publishing a new book is no small thing!

It sounds like you are now energized and ready to GO FOR IT. I have no doubt that you *WILL* shine! One of my goals for 2017 is to get back into fiction writing and return to GRW. I see that you and Susan are presenting at the April meeting. I hope to see you there!